Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What is Good?

Went to the Pasadena Museum of California Art today (literally across the street from The Maryland..).  Two shows there seemed like they might be interesting--  The main one, 'Franz A. Bischoff Gardens and Grandeur' was fantastic (actually both were..) -- got me thinking--  Bischoff (1964-1929) immigrated to Pasadena from Austria around 1900.  He is known --it seems-- for his earlier work--- rose laden painted porcelain vases---  Very 'Grandma'--- I'm sure popular in their time--  I went into the show with judgement about that--  His later work--  Large oil paintings of --again-- roses..  was absolutely beautiful---
He managed to pull off them off--  transcending what might have been stupid overly sweet paintings into something interesting--  I thought to myself,  I can't think of one painter today that can do this--  there is a gutsy honest direct quality--  immediate too--  they are not just 'pretty'--  although they were--  This is something I'd like to have in my work.  I'm adding Bischoff to my list of artists that gets/got a bad rap--  Sargent, Leroy Neiman, Norman Rockwell, Georgia O'Keefe--  plus a whole lot of illustrators--  Solid good painting--  only to be dismissed by the general opinion of what is good--

3 comments:

  1. What was the second show you liked, Tom, the Westways covers show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Westways covers--- loved it--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I sometimes feel this way. Is it that an artists work gets over exposed like a pop song. Its good but it gets lost in so much exposure maybe. Love me some Georga Okeef and totally get Rockwell - I think with more elegance and grace than is depicted in the work. Hmmm. I'll have to check this guys Roses out for myself. Thanks Tom.

    ReplyDelete