Friday, December 10, 2010

Christine Ebersole

About 12 years ago--   I was invited by a friend to see a coworker of his sing at the Cinegrill in Hollywood--  He worked on the short lived sit-com "Ink"--  She was on his show, Had never heard of her--  The tickets were free--  so I was game--   In Los Angeles, lots of things crop up to see--  Through the years I've seen dozens these shows...  Some okay, some bad--  whatever--  give me a glass of Chardonnay and I'm happy--   I'm a tough customer-- few are memorable--
Well, the lights go down and out romps Christine Ebersole--  Her first number was "Shanghai" a cute song I knew from Doris Day--   kind of a 'throw away' novelty song--  I thought-- OK, well that was cute---  After that everything falls into a blurr--  She must have sung a ballad next, I don't know.....  Her voice was so pure, clean, sincere---  A mix of Joni Mitchell/Judy Collins/Kathryn Grayson/Kate Smith--  Fabulous--  I was in a trance---  Then came her between song banter---  Funny!  Seriously---  I've never enjoyed a show more than that one---  Thank god they recorded the evening---  (I can hear my laughter on the CD!)

Since then--  Christine has won Tony's and is now the darling of Broadway---  Love, Love, Love her---  I'm a big fan---


2 comments:

  1. i've also seen ebersole live (once right at ringside in a cabaret that no longer exists here in manhattan) .. and she is amazing. her politics kind of .. give me pause. but her talent is stunning. stunning. i'll see her anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine Ebersole is amazing. She's on the TV Land sitcom I was working on this fall. If the show gets picked up, they need to get her singing. We saw her show at the Broad Theater in Santa Monica in December. Great performer. Beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete