Monday, January 17, 2011

Bayshores

 Today at 'Days of Our Lives',  being a holiday (no "Comm") --  We had a delicious catered lunch---  while in line Holly (pretty, smart, sweet, --young producers assistant) mentioned I had written a new entry---  and that she was happy with my return---  (I hadn't....) Well, that got me going--  so thank you Holly---

I was born in Burbank 46 years ago today---  My parents lived in Sherman Oaks  in a 'modern ranch' that they had built-----  It's a long story why---  (another post...) they decided to relocate to Newport Beach in Orange County---  I was a year old---

Today, the mention of 'Newport' implies the impression of 'over the top' craziness--  back then, however-- -- it was a good place to raise a family--  and was affordable--  

They found a 1200 sq. ft. house in a development called "Bayshores"--

Bayshores was the first Irvine Company development--  starting in the early fifties--  200 (more or less) houses --  some fronting on Newport Harbor--  It was then a mix of fancy and normal---  For my first twelve years-- it was my reality--  Two beaches are there--  the "swim" beach and the "play" beach--  those terms are still used today---  It was a simpler time--  Being safe--  kids were allowed to roam free doing whatever---  It was an amazing period---  southern California in the 60/70's---  We learned every inch of street and alley there---  our parents were all friends and organized cocktail parties--  I still remember 'chaparoneing' home drunken guests---  (I was ten--).  It was expensive to fly-- so vacations were confined to Palm Springs, Big Bear and Catalina--

Bayshores (and Newport for that matter) has changed--  This happened, maybe in the eighties---  Still, when I return--  There is a thread of what once was---

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Tom! Although I grew up by NHHS I spent lots of time on Balboa Island (at Kennon's house). I feel so blessed to have spent my childhood in Newport. It was "normal" to see John Wayne driving down PCH, riding our bikes everywhere, taking the bus to Fashion Island. Thanks for the glimpse back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tom for bringing back some wonderful memories of my childhood in Bayshores. I spent my summer days at the "swim" beach building sand castles and wishing I were a grown up so I could play sand volleyball too. I collected shells, swam under the dock and caught smelt by the hundreds with a drop line and American cheese. During the rest of the year i would play with my friends and sisters playing bicycle tag, kick the can and just hanging out at the play park. It was a wonderful place to grow up and as you said it was not over the top wealth for most of us. It was my place for a quintessential childhood. At least that is the way I choose to remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bayshores was a rare phenomenon for Southern California. It was a community that was contained; everyone knew eachother in one way or another. I sometimes have flashes of Bayshore memories, like sitting on top of our roof line on the newly built two stories with my mom her friends, my brother and a few of my friends. You are right Tom, it was a simpler time. I can't imagine ANY of the residents hanging like we did then, just enjoying the soft summer night sky like a bunch of hoot owls. I don't imagine kids run around in the alleys anymore playing basketball or baseball. We really had a grand time didn't we? Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your posts....any more coming? It is nice to hear about life on SoCal before I moved here and made it my lifetime home. It completes the picture of this place I love.

    ReplyDelete