Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Star isn't Born

I didn't do any theatre for three years after, "The King and I"---  those years were spent learning the guitar---  I was obsessed with The Carpenters and to a lesser degree, John Denver---  My guitar 'period' (1975-78) was an extension of that.  I became good enough to play at rest homes and (strangers...) weddings.  To this day I'm not bad....

My first trip back to the stage was a big lead in, "Mame"---  followed by playing a scrubby child at Newport Theatre Arts Center musical version of, "A Christmas Carol"--- Then began  the beginning of my Hollywood career---   Joining "South Coast Actors Studio" ---  this place was fantastic---  located 'off Bristol' in Costa Mesa---  They offered all sorts of classes--  acting, improve, cold reading, dance (tap-- a big love..) and on and on---  Also they had an in house agent---  booking interviews---  I loved the place---  soon I was landing some work--  My first gig was my biggest (so far....)--   a commercial for an alcohol rehab hospital----  I played a young boy angry at his drunken father---  screaming "I'll never be a drunk; I don't want to be like you!" followed by  hurling fishing poles across the garage..... very dramatic....  I did one or two more commercials--  in addition to 'featured extra' work in two films--  From there I landed an agent in LA---  I was discovered in an acting showcase---   (doing an 'improve' in which I was a paraplegic walking for the first time---)

My new agent,  Don Schwartz was 'big time'---  his office was on Sunset across the street from Le Dome--
He schooled us adolescents at his Sunset plaza adjacent home--  We would study Garbo films--- then have discussions about it--   Acting interviews came maybe three times a week---  Nothing delivered---  The whole thing became a burden and I quit---  Today, I'm glad I experienced the acting thing---  It's so far away from my life now--  Still I see actors every day---  They arrive on my show and I so get it---

No comments:

Post a Comment