Monday, November 29, 2010

Blossom Dearie

Thought I might talk about one of my favorite musical artists, Blossom Dearie--  First heard Blossom at Indigo Seas---  an antique store I worked at on Robertson Blvd. in the early 90's.  The owner there has great style---  She and her husband live at director George Cukor's former home above the Sunset Strip---  Anyway, fabulous music was always playing----  "I'm Hip" "I'm Shadowing You", "My Attorney Bernie" and "Peel Me a Grape" were mainstays---  She had a paired down simple, honest-- jazzy approach to her music---  Plus an occasional 'throw away' comedy number--  From what I understand, she was tough regarding her work---  only surrounding herself with the best--  Lucky I was to see her live many times---  Her voice changed very little in her almost 60 year career--
One of my favorite songs is "Sweet Lover No More" which she termed a 'Jazz Waltz' singing to just a piano, bass and tambourine--  She passed away last February at 85--  Someone on Facebook suggested toasting the night sky to her version of "Fly Me to the Moon" which I did---

5 comments:

  1. I loved her version of "Always True to You Darling (in my Fashion)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "If a Harris pat, means a Paris hat"......

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm kinda in love with dearie myself. used her to illustrate some ruminations on my personal set list ... she is quite something. how about her tribute album to comden and green tunes?

    http://mattiewade.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/managing-the-set-list/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yes... "Some Other Time" a standout.... Love that album....

    ReplyDelete
  5. SchoolHouse Rock - Figure Eight. What a beautiful voice. Takes me waaaaaay back.

    ReplyDelete